Sunday, June 26, 2011

6/18/11 FL-> PA = 1,034 miles!

The feel of wind blowing through the windows, the sight of sunsets spread across mountains, the sound of classic songs and new radio stations, among other reasons are why I adore the open road. Not many people voluntarily drive over a thousand miles, but I've come to love the annual summer drive home to Pittsburgh!  My love of the open road started when my best friend and I took a road trip of 8,177 miles exploring America's National Parks! During that trip my friend and I made the rule to never stop at the same restaurant twice and also decided that some sights seen from the dashboard are just so beautiful they require pulling over to take in. Part of the fun of driving across states is that you get to see so many sights that you would never see if you just flew into a city. While I'm anxious to fly to Africa, I couldn't head so far away without heading home first.  Luckily, all of my immunizations went well on Thursday so I was ready to pack up my car and get the summer travels started! Before driving off, my running/ biking club planned a sendoff off for me! I cannot thank all of my friends and family enough for their support of this volunteer trip!

Friday 6/17/11- Sendoff dinner with my amazing running/ biking club! Such inspiring people!

Early Saturday morning 6/18/11- Driving begins! Before leaving the Sunshine State I decided I wanted to see the beach one last time so planned to meet friends in Jacksonville for lunch on the beach, where there happened to be a random parade.

After a delicious lunch with friends and an enjoyed driving break on the beach I headed back in my car to continue north. Sticking with my rule of finding unique rest stops, I decided to get off for gas at the exit that advertised free apple cider and a tour of Frampton Plantation in South Carolina.


Saturday evening 6/18/11-  Day one of driving concludes in North Carolina after 639 miles! I was greeted in NC with hugs from a best friend I've known since sixth grade, her husband, and beautiful baby! It is always so wonderful to see old friends! We spent the weekend catching up sharing many laughs!

Monday morning 6/20/11- On the road again!  West Virginia mountains took me home!

Monday evening 6/20/11- I instantly smiled as I turned the corner onto the familiar street my parents have lived on for over thirty-five years. Pittsburgh is ranked one of the top ten places to raise a family in America and there's no question why. My same neighbors that were living in the adjacent houses to my parents when I was born still live here and greeted me with hugs and well wishes for Africa. I have been having the most wonderful time with the best parents and friends while back in Pennsylvania. There's truly no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment