Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Packing: a.k.a. "You'll be fine"

"The overdressed traveler betrays more interest in being seen than in seeing, while the true traveler knows that the novel world about her serves as the most appropriate accessory." -Gregory Maguire, Wicked

No make up. No jewelry. One would think packing to volunteer in a third world country is quite simple. In fact I've always prided myself in being a low maintenance traveler. I usually pack hours before getting on a plane. I never check bags. I flew to NYC for two weeks with just a carry on. I backpacked through five countries of Europe sans anything fancy with just what fit on my back three years ago.

In the past week, I've learned quick traveling to Africa certainly isn't comparable to traveling anywhere in America or Europe. So how does one begin to pack for a whole month in Africa? I started with the following packing list from Cross Cultural Solutions, which I have carried around like Linus and his blanket. 

Secondly, while packing you consult friends, lots of them. Anyone who knows me knows I avoid malls like the plague. Kath coaxed me to the outlets by saying we'd go for biking supplies and made it her goal to get me prepared for Africa. My mom also deserves kudos for exploring stores such as Gander Mountain in search of the strongest bug spray and a safari hat of course! My parents being the wonderful parents they are helped make sure that the bathroom cabinet of medical supplies accompanies me to Africa!

My CCS Program Director Katie along with my friends Erin, Kim C, Kim D, Hannah, and Jessie have been my Africa consultants since they've all been there themselves. Every little tidbit helped such as avoid wearing blue which attracts more bugs! Kristin lent me her awesome backpack again. My friend Melanie, let me go "borrowing" in her house where she taught me all the secret wonders for long flights such as a blow up pillow to help with my 21 hour flight. She also stressed how vital compression bags are which do work wonders!

Lastly, while I'm excited to try the local cuisine in Bagamoyo I needed to pack some comfort foods!

I think this blog makes packing look a lot easier than it has been. I admit it's scary to think that in just a few days I'm traveling alone far away from home to sleep under a mosquito net for a month. However, in my running/biking group we have a simple motto that is, "You'll be fine." It's what I was told before I ran my first 26.2 miles. I was told it again while frustrated during the final miles of an 84 mile bike ride. While it doesn't always feel like it, I always am "fine." In fact, I know I'll be better than fine for great adventure takes great risk.

So my bags are packed and I'm focusing on the words of Edward Abbey, an environmental activist who said, "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."

1 comment:

  1. Hey!!

    I'm heading to Bagamoyo next friday! So soon!! I'm placed at Mwasama Primary, and saw your posting about your having been placed there. I was wondering if you could give me any and all suggestions?! For that, and for the trip as a whole!

    My email: lvitek@g.clemson.edu

    xx!
    Lauren Vitek

    ReplyDelete