Tuesday, June 7, 2011

WHAT...? Students' research :)

Dear stellar students,

I can't believe it is the last week of school already! I love that you are as excited for my volunteer trip as I am. Before going anywhere it is always vital to learn about the place you're going so I'd like you to help me research! Please use the following links to research Tanzania on your home computers and tell me what you'd like me to see and/or do while I'm exploring Africa! We learned that when Juan Ponce de Leon discovered Florida in 1513 he named it  "La Florida" meaning Land of Flowers. I will be volunteering in Bagamoyo. What does the name Bagamoyo mean? Here are some other questions to guide your research.

-What animals are found in Tanzania?
-What language is spoken in Tanzania?
-What is the climate like?
-What ocean borders Tanzania?
-What countries border Tanzania?
-What percentage of children 5-14 attend school?
-What sport is popular in Tanzania?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagamoyo

http://www.tanzaniaparks.com/

Animal Images

Based on your research, what advice or suggestions do you have for me? Do you think I should pack anything in particular? What was the most interesting or surprising thing you learned? I look forward to reading your research, opinions, and suggestions.

Your teacher,
Ms. Barr

8 comments:

  1. I found out the meaning of Bagamoyo on Wikipedia and it means to "Lay down your heart." I think that is about helping others and being friends with everyone you meet in Bagamoyo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to learn that only 57% of kids ages 5-14 attend school. At our school our average attendance is 96%. It is hard to picture only 57% of kids coming to school. I hope more kids in Africa can go to school. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a creative thing that your brother did i love the CD that he made you Ms.Barr.My favorite picture was the picture of you in front of the glorius flowers and house i really adore that picture and the rest of the pictures. i think you are doing a very brave thing going to Afica.I hope you help the childern and make them better and be safe there . I will really Miss You Ms.Barr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the climate in Africa is 33.9 F and that is the temepature in the mornings the afternoon tempature is 136.0 F and that is the hottest it been in africa.Africa holds the record of climate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms.Barr I will miss you during the summer sense you where my teacher in 3rd grade and now in 4th grade.You are the best teacher i've had sense i first got to this school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi miss.barr i will miss you when you go to africa. please send me pictuers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss.Barr i reaserched what language they speak thire it is actually kiswahili but they speak english and swahili is one of the most populer language.bring phots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great research so far! The weather in Bagamoyo is actually similar to Florida's though their evenings cool down a little more. The high is usually in the high 80s and the low is in the 60s.
    I will miss all of you too! It makes me happy to read these messages! Let's see what other answers you can discover!

    ReplyDelete